GILBERT MEMORIAL CEMETERY
In Memory of Those Here Laid to Rest
This monument marks the site of the Gilbert Cemetery, originally a
one-acre plot set aside by Jerimiah S. Gilbert for burials. He acquired
the land in 1861 from his father. Throughout the nineteenth and early
twentieth centuries use of these grounds expanded to provide burial
for members of various churches and fraternal lodges of the neighboring
black community. These included the Sterling Chapel (founded in 1885
and later merged with Dodd United Methodist Church in 1973 to form
the Dodd-Sterling United Methodist Church), Travelers` Rest Baptist
Church, Union Baptist Church, and the Queen of the South Lodge,
Free and Accepted Masons.
This memorial is dedicated to the memory of those individuals, known
and unknown, here interred. Among those buried here, identified by
family, friends, and private records are those whose names are listed
on the central monument. Pastors who are known to have participated
in services at Gilbert Cemetery include: A. M. Bridges; J. B. Greer; C. d.
Johnson, D. D.; J. F. Shumake; B. B. Carter; T. W. Hobbs; E. D. Lumpkin;
C. S. Stinson; R. Wilborn.
Gilbert Cemetery was destroyed by unknown persons in the late 1950`s.
The Memorial Cemetery has been made possible through efforts of
concerned local residents, local clergy, the Fulton County Superior
Court, the Georgia Department of Transportation, the Federal Highway
Administration, and others, so that those laid to rest here would not
060-199 GEORGIA HISTORIC MARKER 1983