BENEVOLENCE BAPTIST CHURCH
This church, constituted May 16, 1840, succeeded Walnut Grove, NW of here, (called Mt. Paran when organized, Nov. 1831, with 9 members). In 1840, Missionary Baptists, feeling a need for a separate church, met and accepted 5 acres of land for Church and Cemetery `with no charges ever` from Thomas Coram, first settler at this site. For this generosity, Abner Ward suggested the name Benevolence for church and community. Members hauled lumber from Dawson and built the first church building, dedicated May 17, 1842, with Rev. James Matthews, Pastor, and A.M. Albritton, Clerk. First deacons were James Sherman and John Winfrey. Other early clerks were David Holman, Abner, E. H. Keese and G. W. King.
120-11 GEORGIA HISTORICAL COMMISSION 1955?